Thursday, October 29, 2015

Blog 10 - Interview 2 Reflection




1. Please explain how you are spending your mentorship time (Is it at a workplace or somewhere else?  Are you shadowing?  Are you able to do tasks that are meaningfully related to the topic?  If so, what?  Are there other people who are experts in the location?  Etc...)

During my mentorship I normally volunteer at a store called upscale collectibles, where they raise money for girls who have aged out of the foster care system by selling home goods or clothes. Usually I help organize shelves and clothing racks along with setting up the store for the new and coming Christmas season. I have also volunteered at the group house in Whittier, where the girls normally live. I help Carol, my mentor, organize important papers for the store, upcoming events, and other fellow organizations.


2.  How did you find your mentor?  How did you convince this person to help you? 

 I have volunteered with Carol and the bridge of faith before high school and I have always been interested in the foster system and child services. Since Bridge of faith works with girls who have aged out of the system, I figured since I already have a lot of experience with them it would be a fun a project. It wasn't very hard to convince Carol to be my mentor because she already knows a lot about my work ethic and my commitment to the organization.


3. How would you rate your comfort level with your mentor at this point in your relationship?  How does this relate to the time you've spent so far at mentorship/with this person

I am very comfortable with Carol, mainly because of our history together. My relationship with her has made it easier to talk to her and schedule mentor time with her.


4. What went well in this interview?  Why do you think so?  What do you still need to improve?  How do you know?  How will you go about it?

I obtained a lot of information about the organization that I didn't know, and I discovered more about my mentor than i thought i would. I believe the interview went well because of our history and how hard I tried to make her comfortable. I believe I could have gotten more involved with the questions. Next time I will ask deeper questions and contribute more to the overall interview.

Recording: https://soundcloud.com/kristen353/interview-2-mentor

No comments:

Post a Comment