Monday, September 21, 2015

Blog 5 - Interview 1 Reflection

collage of various invasive species


1. What is the most important thing I learned from the interview?  Is there anything I would do differently for other interviews?
Throughout the interview I learned valuable information such as the effects of invasive species and how the Department of Fish and Wildlife has treated this problem. Doug, my interviewee, explained the many procedures  they take to check boats and prevent these muscles from spreading further damage to the ecosystem. He also talked about why the muscles are extremely invasive, for example they eat the plankton and that ultimately hurts the local fish in each lake. 

My interviewee was kind of uncomfortable, but next time I can work on making the interview feel like an open environment. The interview was shorter than I had hoped due to the fact that he had to go, next time I will plan better time wise. I also didn't have as many questions as i thought, after the interview had ended I started to think of better questions which I have written down to ask. Overall, I could have done better, I was nervous because this was the first interview, but next time I will have more experience and hopefully it will be ten times better.


2. Did I get additional resources and contacts?  What is the most useful?  Why?
Yes i did get more contact information, Doug showed me where to look on the Department of Fish and Wildlife for volunteer opportunities. He also said he would keep in contact with me and let me know about a woman that works in Ontario to preserve the ecosystems.  I believe the research on CDFW was the most useful because he took the time to teach me exactly how the website works and pointed out the areas that were most helpful to contributing to my project.

3. What makes my interviewee qualified to help me?
Doug has been doing internships with CDFW for a year now and has had a lot of experience in habitat preservation. He has also worked with many people that can hep me with my project and getting more information. He also goes to school at Calpoly Pomona for urban and regional planning which also plays a role in preserving ecosystems.

Link: https://soundcloud.com/kristen353/interview-1-doug

No comments:

Post a Comment